The principle of constructive and destructive interaction of waves was first demonstrated by English scientist Thomas Young in 1801 in a notable experiment that utilized a two-point source of light to create an interference pattern. Waves that combine in phase reinforce each other, while the waves that combine out-of-phase will cancel each other. Phase shifting or phasing is in turn a way of controlling these interactions by time-shifting wavefronts that originate from two or more sources. It can be used to bend, steer or focus the energy of the wavefront.
Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing System utilized multiple point source transducers that were pulsed so as to direct the sound beam of this controlled interference pattern. An array transducer contains a number of separate elements in a single housing, and phasing refers to how these elements are sequentially pulsed. A phased array system is around a specialized ultrasonic transducer that contains many individual elements (typically from 16 to 256) that can be pulsed separately in a programmed pattern.
These transducers are used with various types of wedges, in contact mode or in immersion testing. Their shape may be square, rectangular or round and test frequencies are in the range of 1 to 10 MHz. The phased array technique has many potential applications, but can be inhibited by limitations such as geometry, time and access.
Depending upon client needs, IXAR has capabilities to deliver the following expertise;
1) Perform encoded scans on complex geometries.
2) Individual tailor development of qualification blocks, configuring rigs for data collection and levels of post-analysis reporting.
3) Inspection of small bore tubes- internal diameter of 50mm down to 6mm.
4) Inspection of complex geometry branch welds with variable weld profiles using encoded scanning for accurate sizing of internal defects.
5) Corrosion of inspection of Storage Tanks.
6) In-situ inspection of transverse cracks along shafts and axles for the public transport
7) Provide accurate analysis and reporting on the presence of cracks to establish the client to make an informed decision for repair and continued operation.
Dual Matrix Probe For Testing of Highly Attenuated SS & Inconel Welds
Cobra Scanner Probe Arrangements for Testing of Welds of Smaller Diameter Tubes or Pipes up to 4.5"
Through a team of trained, skilled and experienced professionals, IXAR provides advanced Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing (PAUT) for flaw detection, sizing and imaging. It offers significant technical advantages for weld testing and plant monitoring over conventional ultrasonic as the phased array beams can be steered, scanned, swept and focused electronically from a fixed probe position.
IXAR has expertise in PAUT in the following fields; a) in the testing of highly attenuated Stainless Steel & Inconel Welds b) Small diameter pipe welds from diameter 0.84" to 4.5" c) Pressure vessels, Boilers, Heat Exchangers, Columns, Tanks etc. d) Corrosion Testing of Vessels, Tanks & Pipes.